Big name national retailers got their day in the spotlight on Black Friday as their deep price cuts pulled shoppers through the doors in droves.
Small Business Saturday takes over today shining a light on those mom-and-pop businesses all over the Stillwater area that are the backbone of America’s economy.
The concept of Small Business Saturday was born in 2010, and is described by the U.S. Small Business Administration as “a day to celebrate and support small businesses and all they do for their communities."
American Express gets the credit for founding the shopping holiday, which got its official start on Nov. 27, 2010. The event drew over 100 million people last year, according to the Small Business Saturday website.
Locally owned business across the country now take part in Small Business Saturday, offering their own deals to rival those offered the day before on Black Friday.
To find retailers in Stillwater that take part in the promotion, just visit the Small Business Saturday website, click on “Find Out Where To Shop” in the menu at the top of the screen and type in the ZIP code.
To find out more about small businesses in Stillwater:
- "Like" the Main Street Independent Business Association on Facebook
- Follow Mike Thole's Tour Main Street Blog on Stillwater Patch
- Visit the Greater Stillwater Area Chamber of Commerce website
- Check out the "Cool Deals" section on Discover Stillwater
- Read Go Buy Local's Blog on Stillwater Patch
- Post reviews of local businesses in the Stillwater Patch Directory
- Click here to read up on local business news
- Follow the The Daily Grind's Facebook page to read Megan Palm's ongoing musings on all the great finds in downtown Stillwater this holiday season.